"What is Facebook?"- this was a normal question in early 2004.
Nowadays the percentage of the persons that don't have a facebook account is minimal.
According the article of Yahoo, here is how the number of active users at Facebook has grown:
1 million — End of 2004.
5.5 million — End of 2005.
12 million — End of 2006.
1.06 billion — December 2012.
1.11 billion — March 2013.
Source: Facebook Inc.
What about the people that don't use facebook for some reason? I personally know only one friend. He says he don't want it because he doesn't like it. Ok! But my opinion is that this is radical! There is nothing wrong to have a facebook profile. It's the perfect and the fastest way to be up to dated of what happens to your friends, family, the world. But it's all about how you use it and how much time you spend on it. Here comes the bad part of this social media-the part where you are addicted and distracted all the time and your productivity falls down. There are some facts we must not forget about it.
What is Facebook?
- the most popular social network website
- helps to connect friends and family
- has helped the web become more open and social
- is everywhere- in our personal and professional life
What is NOT Facebook?
- a website where you can control it completely ( Facebook, like Google+, Twitter, etc. change all the time, we don't know tomorrow how will they be...)
- a place for contest- "I'm prettier","I have the greatest job", "I'm on the coolest place", " I have the largest friend's list", etc.
- a daily diary- " I'm now drinking my coffee", "I'm now going to sleep", "I'm now at the bathroom"
- anti-stress method, right the opposite!
and much more...
In facebook 90 % of the people ( that includes me too) are dreaming their life was just like their facebook profiles
shows it is. In fact they put nice pictures and cool status, while the bad and the disappointing things remain hidden. In real life this can't happen- you see all the colors of it, not only the bright ones.
It is sad, but so common, when you see a nice sunset, instead of thinking:
" Oh, what a nice sunset! I will enjoy it watching right now, relaxing",
but a facebook addicted thinks:
" Oh , what a nice sunset! I must take a picture with my mobile and post it on facebook. My friends will be impressed! "
So in our everyday life we are stuck on facebook, our thoughts are on this website all the time.
Recently I read the book "4 hours work week" . It is about how to use our time effectively. There is a method 80/20, where 80% is the time you have for you and 20 % is for your working hours. So, how can you spend time for you if you are all the time in Facebook?!. You can try to reduce this waste of time.
About a month now that I'm trying to do that and it begin to work!
Here are some advices how you can do it too:
- switch off e-mail notifications from facebook. You can do it from " Settings" in your profile.
- turn off the instant notifications on your mobile. That means that you wont be alerted every time someone is posting or sending you a message. Before, when this option was turned on, there was this red ballon with the numbers of notificationson and I was easily distracted to open and read it. Now it is gone! I open my facebook account only when I decide it to! What I'm trying to do is open Facebook:
An finally I would like to present you a short movie I made about this topic.
Use your time for YOU!